Monday, October 26, 2009

the long and the long of it.

Today I did my third of five 20 mile runs in preparation for the Rocket City Marathon. By all standards, it went exceedingly well. I would dare to almost call it easy. The loop I did covered pretty much everything between here and Suwanee. The weather was cool and crisp fall weather, just perfect for a long run. It was my third run in my new shoes that I purchased earlier in the week. The shoes I bought through work a few months ago just weren't working out. So I headed over to Fleet Feet to get some advice on what to do. My ankles had been bothering me and I didn't see myself making it through 3 more twenty milers in uncomfortable shoes. The new kicks have been serving me well. They are still a neutral shoe but have a lot more cushioning. I think they are really paying dividends with all the concrete surface running that I've been doing.

Getting the the point where 3 hour runs seem easy is pretty much what I want to achieve by doing the Rocket City Marathon this December. Learning how to pace through it is also a goal of mine that I think will translate well to Ironman. I'll probably never be a competitive marathoner. It's more of a personal thing to learn how to get through the distance with out feeling like I got hit by a car in the last 6 miles of the race. So far I think I'm adapting well to the mileage and learning to pace myself for an even effort through the entire run. The next trick is going to be to tack a century bike ride on before hand.....

No comments: