Friday, December 4, 2009

Almost there...

The Rocket City Marathon is quickly sneaking up on me. I've only got a handful of runs left before the 12th is here. I haven't been feeling the best on my runs lately but I've been trying to stay optimistic about my chances to run a PR. I know I've hit all the important long runs I set out to do which are the most important when prepping for the marathon.

In all of the endurance sports I've done there's always this grey area between the end of your hard workouts and the actual race called taper. More than likely I never feel good during the taper (rest period), until maybe the day before the actual event or even the day of the event. My body seems to go through a restless stage during this period, where it feels like it should be working hard because that's what it's been doing for a while. It always seems to work out though, but is frustrating non the less when I felt better the week I ran 50+ miles than this week where I'm only running 25 or so.

I guess I just need to take my own advice on this from when I was a rowing coach. Rest, Hydrate, eat well and have faith in the taper - you'll feel good on race day, who cares what your workouts feel like today.

No comments: