Monday, August 18, 2008

over training....

From a August 6th to the 12th I had two training weeks that somehow ran together and I ended up with an 18 hour training week. My body is now letting me know that that was to much to fast! The week was epic with 230 miles on the bike, 30 miles running, and 4 miles in the pool but somewhere in there I strained up my upper calf on my left leg behind my knee. It's just a bit sore. I went out of town for work the 13th to the 15th and was unable to find time to train - possibly a blessing in disguise. Upon returning I went for a 14 mile trail run on the 16th and also a 20 mile bike. My leg was still pretty sore. The plan was to train the week in 8 days using Monday through Monday but after that last trail run and short ride my leg wasn't feeling so great. I figured it was best to call it a week, take Sunday off, and get started today (Monday the 18th) with my planned recovery week. Hopefully the low training hours this week will give my leg a chance to rest up. It's not a horrible pain, more like a permanent sore muscle. I imagine if I don't manage it properly though it could turn into something more serious.

One thing is for certain, during a max cycle I need to be aware of how the weeks connect and make sure the pattern of when I do my longer workouts is consistent so that they don't string together to much training in a short amount of time.

I kicked off the recovery week with a swim to lay of my leg for another day. It seems to feel alright so I'll be working in shorter bikes and runs the rest of the week, and hopefully get a few more swims in.

No comments: