Thursday, August 28, 2008

Recovery...Unrecovery...

Last week I finally reached a much needed recovery week in the training. It went well and I do feel pretty strong as I work on my final three weeks of max training. Although, I realized today that my goal of getting up near 15/16 hours of training per week is just to much at this point. My body simply does not have time from one workout to the next to make this type of training load productive. I seem to be right at home at around 12 hours per week, I always feel like I get stronger from one week to the next with this type of training load. So for this last cycle I'm just going to go with that. I mentioned early that I did approach 18 hours in a 7 day period inadvertently and I've really paid the price since then. Over training is something that I need to be more aware of.

So far this week has gone well. Monday I swam and had a good 6 mile run in the evening. Wednesday I rode 30, and today I went for a long ride of 54 miles. I have a 2 hour run and a 3 hour brick to wrap up the week.

My strain behind my right knee has been slowly getting better each day. I've stepped up my post workout stretching and it has helped a lot. I was worried for a little bit - training through injury is so frustrating.

In other news, during my ride today I got to watch my odometer tick over 1,000 miles on the new bike, exciting stuff!

No comments: