Thursday, January 21, 2010

in the groove

I've finally gotten myself into a solid full on training mode. Week 1 went well although I missed a couple of swims due to the lack of a car to get to the pool, but it was only about an hour worth of workout time. All of my bikes and runs were completed. Week 2 has gone even better, and I shouldn't have any problem getting all 9 of my planned workouts in.

One thing that has helped with this is the discovery of the Gwinnett Running Club. They meet 3 days a week for runs of different distances and intensities. So far I've been attending their Wednesday night run at Collins Hill Pool. It is a very diverse group of varying abilities and their seems to be enough serious runners on a regular basis to make it worthwhile to make running with them a regular routine. With all the solo training I have ahead of me, it's nice to have some workouts I can count on where I don't have to go it alone. They also do a track workout on Monday nights and a long run on Saturday mornings.

I've also made some crucial adjustments to the fit of my tri bike. This has been one of my biggest sources of anxiety regarding the race. I've never gone more than 60 or so miles on my triathlon bike, I've always done my centuries on my road bike, so I've been trying to figure out how to set it up to be comfortable for 112 miles. I've learned to make one small adjustment and then ride it to see how it feels - rather than make a lot of adjustments or big adjustments at one time. This way you know exactly what kind of adjustments are helping. It's definitely been a very systematic process to get it right.

No comments: