Monday, January 11, 2010

My Favorite Gear (for now)

Through the benefits of working for a fantastic outdoor company, I have accumulated some great gear to help me during my training. During my run yesterday with Patrick, I was thinking about all of my favorite gear and how in the world would I get through the long workouts, adverse weather, and such with out them. Interestingly enough, it's those small things, those little detail pieces of gear that can make the biggest difference in a good day of training and a bad day. So here are my favorite pieces of gear!

Tifosi Vogel Sunglasses





The great thing about these sunglasses to me is I don't really notice wearing them. They are extremely lightweight and do not have frames. The lenses have "fototec" technology, so they get darker and lighter as the amount of sunlight you are in changes. When you ride a triathlon bike and you are down in the aero position, it forces you to look up through your brow. With a pair of sunglasses that have frames, you end up looking right into the fame at the top - therefor obstructing your view of the road. Not the case with the Vogel's due to the lack of frames, they are the perfect triathlon pair of sunglasses.


Pearl Izumi Barrier Shoe Covers












These thick neoprene booties that cover your shoes are a must for cold weather riding. Forget the toe covers, nothing compares to these bad boys. Keeps my toes warm and toasty even on the most frigid and windy days.


Novara Thermal Tech Arm Warmers













These offer me the option of shedding layers on the fly. Fleece lined and wind proof to 60 mph, they turn any jersey into a long sleeve jersey - but when the ride heats up, you can peel them off while riding and tuck them in your back pocket. Also great for cold weather running - I used them at the Rocket City Marathon.

Wigwam Ironman Tailwind Pro Running Socks













These socks are great for many reasons other than the bamf Ironman logo. First being that they are partially spandex, so they move with your feet and help you avoid blisters on the long runs. They have a cushioned sole that makes them extra comfy. The toes are seamless as well, so no annoying rubbing from that either.

Nathan Speed 4 Hydration/Fuel Belt












Make fun if you want, but this thing has gotten me through more than it's fair share of 20 milers. It's got enough storage pockets to hold 800-1000 calories of your favorite fuel, and four 10 oz bottles to fill with whatever keeps you hydrated the best. The bottles are removed and loaded into the holsters with ease so you don't have to slow down and look at what your doing.

So those are my favorite pieces of gear at the moment - I'll let you know if I obtain any other gear worth blogging about!

2 comments:

Naomi said...

I'm a fuel belt convert.... but they are still the lamest thing since sandals with socks.

leo said...

Since no one is worried about style anymore and only cares about function, you should invent a fuel belt with a fanny pack in front to keep your tourist camera and nipple band-aids.