Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Bordom

A couple of weeks have passed since my last race of the year and I have done my due diligence in taking some much needed down time. I've gone on couple of mountain bike rides and runs here and there just to keep myself from going crazy, but not two weeks into the "off season" I'm starting to be wishing I was training for something. I'm definitely bored.

This weekend I'm running a half-marathon in Grand Rapids, MI while Naomi runs the full. I decided long this was not a race that would be high on my totem pole of importance after the year I've had. I think I may actually just run it for fun - now this is something that I have never done. Gonna take it nice and easy and enjoy the course and the trip.

I'm certainly not very good at working out just to work out. Training for me is a means to and end. That end usually being a race with a specific goal in mind. I think one thing that got me last year was not enough down time in the off season. I ran the Rocket City Marathon in December of last year which I training pretty hard for, and then went right into Ironman mode. I was in really good shape right away, but the second half of the year I struggled to stay with it. I read a quote that I really liked about the off season:

Don't be a (January) National Champion

With that being said, I'm going to keep my training very unstructured and keep my racing to a minimum this off season. I want to make sure I totally recharge the batteries mentally and physically before I get into next year. On that note - I think I'll go for a run. How far and how fast? Well maybe just whatever I'm feeling like :)

2 comments:

Daniel Jessee said...

Let's do some mountain bike touring - we gotta get you off this organized racing circuit and into some mud, guts and delightful misadventures!

marc said...

I have some trees you can cut down and split into firewood (think cross-training)if you are bored. It'll give your upper body a good workout.