Tuesday, July 22, 2008

max cycle number one complete

So I've set my last 13 weeks of training up into three cycles. Three "on" weeks followed by one recovery week done three times. The last time I end with the taper into the South Carolina Half Ironman. I just finished the first cycle and it was pretty successful. I completed weekly training hours of 9, 10, and 11. The middle week included an Olympic distance race at the Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon. My swim and bike were very solid, but I sold out on the run and made excuses the entire time. I was 21:33 for the mile swim, 1:09:34 for the 26 mile bike (22.5 mph avg) and then an awfully slow 48:59 for the 10k run. I'm fully capable of low 40's for the run. I made the mistake of squeezing a hammer gel into my mouth right at the start of the run with out washing it down with any water - it caused some stomach cramping through out the run. My legs felt fine but I let the stomach issues get in the way of running fast. Even though I've completed some 30 triathlons I'm still learning things every time I race.

Last week, the final week of the cycle, was pretty tough. It included a 3 hour brick, a 11 mile run, and a 3 hour ride. The brick and run were solid - but the run took placed on Thursday night, followed by a brutal day on the bike Friday. I rode 55 miles to work on a hilly route, then rode 24 home from work after standing up all day. My legs were dead! I'm feeling very strong this week though on the recovery week which will only total 8 hours. Then we'll be back on it next week picking up my next three week cycle of 11, 12, and 13 hours.

No comments: